CERNITORI MAGNO PALACE
The palace overlooks Corso Cavour, a principle axis road to the historic center made up by Via Saint Lucia Filippini and Via Trento. It is along this street that many bourgeoisie, especially during the 19th century, desired to live due to the long-standing passage that connected the perched city center of to the district of San Flaviano and the Via Cassia. Hence the numerous noble homes that overlook: Ricca, Savignoni, Volpini, Mauri, Vaggi, Federici, and Cernitori. The Apostolic Visitation of 1583 provided evidence of a church dedicated to Saint Leonardo that belonged to the brothers of Saint Augustine, which we presume was situated in the current location of the Cernitori Palace.
A large doorway that overlooks the Cernitori family crest dominates the lower part of the main facade of the building. From here, there is a direct passage leading to the inner courtyard of the palace. The upper part of the facade is made up by a series of simple windows and a centrally located balcony, embellished with an elegant iron trod railing. Higher up, just before the cornice, is a small window that opens up to the mezzanine floor.
G. Breccola – M. Mari, Montefiascone, Grotte di Castro 1979.
G. Breccola, Montefiascone. Guida alla scoperta, Montefiascone 2006.