PORTA DI BORGO
HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
The Porta di Borgo is the official entrance of the higher village of Montefiascone. The monumental arch was built in 1744 by Cardinal Pompeo Aldrovandi, bishop of Montefiascome from 1734 to 1752, and designed by the Roman architect, Domenico Gregorini. The type of the decorative elements, the formal characteristics and style are typical of the eighteenth century. The plaque, placed in the construction between the crests of the Cardinal Aldrovandi and Pope Benedetto XIV, read as follows: UNDER THE KINGDOM OF BENEDICT XIV LAMBERTINI OF BOLOGNA – BEST AND GREATEST POPE – BISHOP CARDINAL POMPEY ALDROVANDI – IN THE YEAR OF THE LORD 1744 OPENS A NEW DOOR MORE BEAUTIFUL IN THIS CONNECTION HUB – THAT BRINGS BACK MORE FLOW ALONG WITH THE CONSTRUCTION OF A BRIDGE. During these works, the path of the ancient Roman road, within the vicinity of the Basilica of St. Flaviano, was diverted just before the new doorway.
Porta di Borgo
Translation by Hannah Sbarbaro, Texas A&M University, enrolled in the USAC Viterbo program at Università degli Studi della Tuscia.
G. Breccola – M. Mari, Montefiascone, Grotte di Castro 1979.
G. Breccola, Montefiascone. Guida alla scoperta, Montefiascone 2006.