HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
Built in front of the official entrance to the village of Montefiascone, the square was developed following the monumental construction of the arch of the door, which was built in 1744 by Cardinal Pompeo Aldrovandi, bishop of Montefiascone from 1734-1752, and designed by the Roman architect Domenico Gregorini. The plaque, placed on the door between the coats of arms of Cardinal Aldrovandi and of Pope Benedict XIV, reads as follows:
UNDER THE KINGDOM OF BENEDICT XIV LAMBERTINI Dl BOLOGNA – POPE GOOD AND MAXIMUM – BISHOP CARDINAL POMPEI ALDROVANDI – IN THE YEAR OF THE LORD 1744 -OPENS A NEW DOOR MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THIS ROAD JUNCTION – A NEW BRIDGE THAT ALLOWED FOR EASIER PASSAGE.
During these works, the local path of the ancient Roman road from the vicinity of the Basilica of St. Flaviano was diverted near the new door. The door of the village, modern buildings, il Prato Giardino (the park) overlook the square.
Translation by John Dutch, Clemson University, enrolled in the USAC Viterbo program at Università degli Studi della Tuscia.
G. Breccola – M. Mari, Montefiascone, Grotte di Castro 1979.
G. Breccola, Montefiascone. Guida alla scoperta, Montefiascone 2006.